Professional Writing - Foundation Degree
Foundation Degree in Professional Writing
Two year full-time programme in Professional Writing is devoted to empowering those with creative talent in a range of disciplines to sell their ideas, become more competitive in applying for jobs and access a range of other qualifications including degrees and higher degrees. The course has proven popular with those seeking the most affordable route to a degree (after two years at foundation degree fee students can progress automatically into the third year of a BA Hons in Creative Writing). Former students have found work including as a best-selling author and as employees in areas like marketing, advertising, exhibition design and event management. Some have gone on to MA and Ph.D study. Anyone interested can ring the College on 01322 629400 for an informal discussion.
Aims of programme
• To enable students to develop a portfolio of creative work sufficient to make them competitive in the careers market.
• To develop an awareness of writing and other creative areas of employment, enabling students to make informed decisions about their individual careers.
• To work closely with individual students in ways likely to promote and enhance their creative talents.
• To provide a substantial background in key academic areas (including English Literature and Film Theory) sufficient to prepare students for further development of their academic career.
• To prepare each student sufficiently well to allow a range of choices at the University of Greenwich (and other institutions if preferred) for third year BA Hons study.
Professional Writing focuses on developing ways of turning creative ideas into revenue. The course has generated an effective stepping-stone for students to progress onto becoming published authors or moving into creative industries such as press, advertising and script-writing.
For further information on course content please click on the following link:
University of Greenwich
Minimum requirements (students <21 years old):
• 72 UCAS Points
• GCSE grade C or above in English and Maths
Mature student requirements (students >21 years old):
If you don’t have the UCAS point requirements, but have appropriate experience, specific knowledge or industry-based qualifications, then your application is welcomed
Progression / Careers
£5950 per academic year
Modes of assessment
Continual assessment on most units (mainly through combination of practical work and evaluative essay), one exam and one informal test in first year, no exams in year two.
“My work on the Professional Writing course helped me to focus my ideas and brand myself as the UK’s only professional, diabetic athlete.” Gavin Griffiths (www.diathlete.org)
“I had a very open mind on joining this course, the work and interaction with staff helped me to identify my present career in fundraising for charity as the perfect career route.” Stephanie Bates
“I've been given the opportunity to incorporate my ideas and creativity into the work that has been set…[Professional Writing] has shown me skills that I never thought I had.” George Harvey