Health & Social Care - Higher National Certificate
Our course is specifically designed should you wish to work within the health care sector or gain entry to the HND in Health and Social Care.
The programme concentrates on building previous skills and developing the skills which underpin the fundamental aspect of Health Care. As the programme develops there will be increasingly independent learning and critical analysis of theory and research.
You will benefit from being able to apply your new skills and training with work supported by regular guidance from industry professionals.
Aims of programme
The aim of this programme is to provide students with a rigorous academic and practical knowledge base in areas relevant to the Health and Social Care industry.
• To provide you with knowledge of Health and Social Care industries.
• To enable you to develop practical skills relevant in the care sector.
• To focus on the knowledge, skills and understanding required to support learning in a range of vocational settings
• To enable you opportunities to work within the care sector, applying the knowledge learnt within the programme, and demonstrating an ability to analyse and evaluate your work-based performance
• To enable you to develop the necessary professional and reflective skills through a variety of stimulating and varied learning environments that can be built on throughout your professional life
• To enhance self-reflection, critical thinking skills and independent learning
• To provide a suitable academic platform for progression to honours level study or further professional development
Communicating in Health and Social Care Organisations (15 credits) Level 4
Health and Safety in the Health and Social Care Workplace (15 credits) Level 4
Personal and Professional development in Health and Social Care (15 credits) Level 4
The Role of Public Health in Health and Social Care (15 credits) Level 4
Physiological Principles for Health and Social Care (15 credits) Level 4
Empowering Users of Health and Social Care Services (15 credits) Level 4
Principles of Health and Social Care Practice (15 credits) Level 5
Working in Partnership in Health and Social Care (15 credits) Level 5
40 UCAS points in a relevant Level 3 qualification or an Access to Higher Education certificate received from an approved further education institute.
GCSE grade A* to C in Mathematics and English.
Mature student requirements (students >19 years old):
If you don’t have the UCAS point requirements, but have appropriate experience, specific knowledge or industry-based qualifications, then your application is welcomed
Progression / Careers
Upon completion of the HNC, students are able to continue onto the HND in Health and Social Care or progress onto an alternative university. Alternatively, students could start to work in the industry.
£5,950 per academic year
Modes of assessment
A range of assessment methods will be used to encourage and develop your skills during the course. These include but are not exclusively include the following; Peer review, taught and directed study, formal written assessment, practical observation, self-directed independent study, assessment of specific skills.