For you, the employer

Employing an apprentice

If you're struggling to recruit people with the right skills and experience you need, or you have an ageing workforce with valuable skills to pass on - an apprentice may be the best solution for your business.

By working with our team of experts, we can help tailor apprenticeship programmes to your requirements. Giving you flexibility and the ability to fast-track young people into your future management team. 

We can help employers with apprenticeship training and recruitment through The Skills Hub Kent and Medway.  

This brand new partnership between two of Kent’s largest and most successful colleges, MidKent College and North Kent College gives you a huge variety of training options across the whole of north and mid Kent, as well as South East London. 


We can offer the following FREE services to employers:
  • Help regarding the Levy and funding

  • Training needs analysis

  • Apprentice recruitment service

  • On-going dedicated support and specialist advice from our assessors and business advisers


If you need advice on how to recruit and train an apprentice, information about the new Apprenticeship Levy or how to move existing employees onto apprenticeship programmes, please email us  or call us on 01322 629400 and we can help you through the process.

The Latest Government information about the new Levy can be found here. They also have some handy video content on using your Levy here.


There are three levels of apprenticeship available:

  • Intermediate Level 2: equivalent to five A* to C’s at GCSE
  • Advanced Level 3: equivalent to two A Levels
  • Higher Level 4 & 5: equivalent to an HND or Foundation Degree


The Levy and incentives

  • Larger employers who take on an Apprentice, only pay their salary. Your Apprenticeship Levy (0.5% of your payroll) will pay for their training course costs.
  • If you don't pay the Levy and take on a 16-18 year old, their training costs are FREE - the Government pays this. If they are over 19 years old, you only pay 10% of the cost and the Government picks up the other 90%. (This also applies to 19-24 year olds who have previously been in care or who have a local authority education, health and care plan.)
  • If you are not a Levy payer and you employ a 16-18 year old, you can also claim a £1,000 incentive payment from the Government. (This also applies to 19-24 year olds who have previously been in care or who have a local authority education, health and care plan.)
  • There is a National Minimum Wage for apprentices. However, many employers prefer to pay more and research shows that the average salary is approximately £170 - £210 per week (as at February 2014).

 

Key statistics from the National Apprenticeship Service

  • 96% of employers with apprentices have experienced at least one benefit from taking on apprentices, and most can count at least 8 benefits
  • 86% of employers said that apprentices helped to develop relevant skills for the organisation and to fill the skills gap
  • 73% of employers say that staff morale is improved by having apprentices
  • 81% of consumers favour using a company that takes on apprentices and 25% are willing to pay more for products from a business that employs apprentices
  • 74% of employers say that apprentices improved products or service quality
  • 78% say that apprentices improved productivity
  • 67% of employers say that employing apprentices improved their image in the sector

 

  • Did you know - there are more than 250 different types of apprenticeships available, offering over 1,400 job roles. 

Visit the Skills Hub Kent & Medway for further information, including how the Apprenticeship Levy works, how to recruit an apprentice and how to find the right apprenticeship training programme to fit your organisation.