Creative Media (TV & Radio) - Higher National Certificate
The Higher National Certificate in Creative Media Broadcast Production provides you with the required practical and vocational knowledge to enable you to work as a competent practitioner in the broadcast radio and moving image industry, and associated employment areas. The programme concentrates on the understanding production values, journalist concepts, developing research techniques along with production and presenting experience within a live media and production company.
You will benefit from being able to apply your new knowledge within our live radio station and work with corporate clients on both radio and moving image projects. Through regular guidance from industry professionals, you will be able to evaluate, develop and progress your skills, allowing you to embark upon a successful career.
Our course is specifically designed should you wish to specialise in either radio or moving image, or gaining a broad knowledge studying a mixture of both.
Aims of programme
The aims of the programme are:
• To provide you with knowledge of production skills within both the radio and moving image industry
• To enable you to develop practical skills in media production across both radio and moving image.
• To focus on the knowledge, skills and understanding required to support learning in a range of vocational settings
• To enable you opportunities to work within the media industry, applying the knowledge learnt within the programme, and demonstrating an ability to analyse and evaluate your work-based performance
• To enable you to develop the necessary professional and reflective skills through a variety of stimulating and varied learning environments that can be built on throughout your professional life
• To enhance self-reflection, critical thinking skills and independent learning
• To develop the personal, employability, critical and transferable skills to work effectively across the media industry
To provide a suitable academic platform for progression to honours level study or further professional development
Year 1 – (Level 4):
• Contextual Studies for Creative Media Production (15 Credits)
• Research Techniques for Creative Media Production (15 Credits)
• Practical Skills for Journalism (15 Credits)
• Law for Journalists
• Promotional Video Production (15 Credits)
• Television Studio Production (15 Credits)
• Practical Skills for Radio Production (15 Credits)
• Radio Magazine Programme Production (15 Credits)
Minimum requirements (students <21 years old):
• 40 UCAS Points
• GCSE grade C or above in English
Desirable requirements (students <21 years old):
• 72 UCAS Points
Mature student requirements (students >21 years old):
If you don’t have the UCAS point requirements, but have appropriate experience, specific knowledge or industry-based qualifications, then your application is welcomed
Progression / Careers
The course is designed should you wish to specialise in either radio or moving image, or gain a broad knowledge studying a mixture of both.
£5950 per year
Modes of assessment
A combination of assignments, practical assessments and presentations