New Work Placement Opportunity
12th June 2018
In September 2018 we are launching a brand new work placement scheme designed to give students on Level 3 courses, up to 50 days of relevant and substantive experience in the workplace.
Key to the scheme is increasing our students' employability, making them ready and prepared for the industry they aspire to be a part of. It gives them the opportunity to be in a real working environment, allowing them to have a glimpse into their future.
At North Kent College we have always been very proud of the connections we have with businesses, not only locally and within the SE London and Kent region, but also with large companies in the City, West End, Docklands and nationally. These partnerships assist our students with work experience, talks about their industry, mentoring opportunities, apprenticeships and graduate careers.
The work placement scheme will form an integral part of the study programme, with students being able to apply for placements with employers that are highly relevant to their studies and appropriate to the end qualification.
The placements will take place during the normal study week for 1 or 2 days per week, or in weekly blocks. The placements themselves must be within relevant industries and deliver real opportunities for students to apply what they are learning at College, into a work setting.
Placements will be highly sought after and a selection process will be in operation to find placements that best fit both the students and the employers. The selection process will include interviews with employers, pre-employment training, assistance with CV writing and applications, and 1-2-1 tutorials to set and monitor aims and objectives of the placement. College staff will assist in finding the work placements and will visit students in the workplace to monitor progress and make sure they are gaining the skills required for their future careers.
What are the benefits of a work placement programme?
• You will be working in the industry, giving you a better chance of employment after you graduate.• You will be able to apply the learning from your classroom, into a real business environment.
• You will be working with and learning from employees within your chosen industry.
• You will be working for a company who may be looking to recruit in the future and who will remember you.
• Having work placements on your CV shows you are committed to the industry and willing to work hard – this puts you ahead of other applicants when it comes to applying for jobs.
• Universities tend to look favourably on students who include work experience in their UCAS statements.
If you would like to take advantage of our gold-standard work placement scheme, apply today for one of our courses starting in September. Placements are available to students on Level 3 programmes, so apply for a Level 3 programme, or a Level 2 programme progressing onto Level 3 in the following academic year, and kick-start your career.
All Blog Articles